Fast Facts about ABS
Founded: ABS opened in 2006, and is a private non-profit college preparatory school.
Founder: Dr. Fayza Al Kharafi, Former Rector of Kuwait University
Accreditation: The school is accredited by the Kuwait Ministry of Private Education. ABS received its accreditation by AdvancED/NCA in 2010 and again in 2020 (now Cognia).
In the upcoming re-accreditation cycle, ABS seeks STEM certification. STEM education engages learners in inquiry processes that promote deep thinking in social learning contexts, with clear connections to outcomes associated with success at progressive levels of learning and work.
A high-quality STEM program will serve as a roadmap for implementing high-quality STEM practices and processes.
Diploma Program and Curriculum: ABS utilizes the Common Core Standards. Our high school program is designed to prepare students for college and university admission in the US, UK, and Canada. To help facilitate this, Advanced Placement courses are offered annually.
Grade Levels: Pre-K through 12.
Average Class Size: 20-23 students.
Student Body: 98% of the student body are Kuwaiti citizens.
Gender Segregation: Our classrooms are co-ed through grade 5. Students are segregated in different buildings from Middle School onwards.
Faculty and Staff: ABS has a teaching staff of 192 individuals from over 28 countries.
Calendar: The academic year is divided into two semesters. Our school week begins on Sunday and ends on Thursday.
Graduation Requirements: A total of 25 credits are required for students to graduate from ABS.
- The school has specialist rooms for Culinary Arts, Drama, Art, Computers and Music.
- The KG Department has another small gym for student use. KG also has a smaller swimming pool.
- Tech Computer Labs - MS Office 365 & Design Thinking (3D Printing), Robotics & Artificial Intelligence, Coding, Arduino, Applied Engineering, and Yearbook
- Special tech MAC labs and Green Room for 2D & 3D Graphic Design courses for all MSHS levels
Activities: A wide variety of activities and annual events are offered to ABS Students. Character education, swimming, football, basketball, student council, MUN, school yearbook, National Honor Society, are just some of the activities offered. Annual events and special activities include overseas Ski and Cultural trips, the Annual Charity Carnival, and the Talent Show.
Campus and Facility Features: The ABS campus is a 25,000 square meter facility and encompasses:
- over 100 classrooms spread over 7 buildings
- campus-wide internet connectivity
- smart boards in every classroom with 7 separate computer labs
- 2 full-service cafeterias
- specialist rooms for Culinary Arts, Drama and Art
- oversized gymnasium and an indoor semi-olympic sized swimming pool