American Baccalaureate School Departments
The curriculum has been developed to provide a rigorous, challenging, and consistent program that will capture students' interest and prepare them for a lifetime of learning.
Our students require knowledge and skills that will help them compete in a global economy and allow them to lead lives of integrity and satisfaction, both as citizens and individuals.
Reporting based on the curriculum, helps parents to have a clear understanding of their child's progress.
Reading: Reading programs (including phonics in the elementary program) challenge students to read and respond thoughtfully to works of classic and contemporary literature that are recognized for quality and literary merit.
Writing: Requirements in writing focus on grammar, spelling, punctuation, and visual presentation.
All students will be challenged by expectations that require them to use higher-order thinking skills and to make connections between related mathematical concepts and the real world. ABS employs a spiraling curriculum which addresses the same five strands each year:
- Number sense and numeration
- Geometry and spatial sense
- Patterning and Algebra
- Data management and probability
Algebra I, II, Geometry, and Pre-Calculus are given in Grades 9-12.
The goal of our science program is to:
- Enable students to acquire a basic literacy capability by understanding basic science concepts.
- Enable students to develop the skills, strategies and habits of mind required for scientific inquiry.
- Prepare students to relate scientific knowledge to the world outside the school.
As well, we take great pride in offering:
- An extensive technology program with a computer lab for every department of the school.
- A 'Partners in action' program in our library and media center
- An Arts program that includes Visual Arts, Music, and Drama
- A competitive P.E. program offering a triple gym, and indoor swimming pool.
- Social Skills, Study Skills, and after school extracurricular programs